Wednesday, November 7, 2007

funny signs, part 2

It's that time again. I'm getting a backlog of "funny" photos. Today's topic is road signs. I apologize in advance for the poor quality of some of these pictures as I am not accustomed to taking pictures of small objects from a moving object going 70mph and keeping it in focus--much to Pat's frustration :) I'm sure there will be more road signs, but to get started...


My absolute favorite. It speaks on so many levels, yet as a road sign it is relatively ambiguous.


Pat and I had a debate about this one. I say "yield to windsocks," he says "caution wind." I concede that he's right, but it's funnier my way!


This one speaks for itself--I like the addition of the stick man.


This one doesn't make much sense to me (small airplane on left side). If Pat doesn't take heed when an airplane lands on the motorway, I'll let you know.


We took great care getting this one in focus since we smile every time we see it--sorry Grandma. This one raises so many questions. These are always in pairs and seem to be marking the beginning and end of some type of imaginary crossing zone, but why? Where are the elderly coming from? Why would they want to cross in a designated zone? Why would they want to cross a motorway, which are usually much busier than this one appears, when they clearly can't run? (Note the thin little cane) I've looked, but I don't see any obvious nursing homes or even really very many residential buildings near these signs. It's not like they have to cross the street to get their mail. If I ever see an elderly person crossing the motorway and causing a traffic snarl, I'll let you know.


Warning--attack sheep! No seriously, these little free-ranging guys have access to the road in this area and you really do have to keep your eyes open to keep the wool off your bumper. There are similar signs for cows. Cows even get their own stoplights in some areas so that they can be safely herded across motorways. You certainly don't want to hit one of those suckers.


Then there's those pesky people. They can be quite dangerous too.


Just put your mind in the gutter...


The original one and only?? I doubt it, this is just a side street, but interesting all the same.

For a look at the last batch of funny signs, click on this link for the archived post

3 comments:

Steph said...

OMG!!! These are making me laugh out loud! I especially like the Beware the Windsocks and the Elderly Crossing. How strange. I wonder what it took for there to be a need for such a sign!

jamie said...

Good question...

Anonymous said...

i just found these. seems to go with the signs.

Most ridiculous British laws:

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27 percent)

2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down (seven percent)

3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (six percent)

4. Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day (five percent)

5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter (four percent)

6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (four percent)

7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the king, and the tail of the queen (3.5 percent)

8. It is illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (three percent)

9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour (three percent)

10. In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (two percent)