Wednesday, September 5, 2007

the million dollar question

What is it that I do with my time?

Good question. I know you have wondered and some of you have asked (including Pat). So far, a typical day goes kind of like this…

Get up. I’ve actually been getting up before 9 most days since I’m getting real, consistent sleep. No naps. Those really mess you up when you are actually rested.

Shower. I’ve started showering more in the morning since I don’t have anywhere to rush off to. As you know if you have lived or traveled with me or just heard Pat complain, I can make that a lengthy process.

Start the laundry. We’ve already covered that one (see the “laundry theory” blog).

Do the dishes from last night’s dinner.

Do some cleaning if needed. Vacuum, dust, or clean the bathrooms.

Do a crossword puzzle. (optional) Thanks Eileen, my former Landor coworker, for sending me to England fully equipped with entertainment—it has lasted far beyond the plane. I’m starting to get a little addicted to these things.

Get on the internet (if I’m lucky enough to have a connection) to check email, do research, etc.

Eat lunch.

Start the dryer.

Walk to York. I can usually come up with some destination whether I have a mission and am looking for something we need, wandering streets I haven’t been down, window shopping, or taking some of the historical walks. I try to do this at least every other day during the week to break things up. I can usually make this last until 5:00 or so and head home. I haven't gotten into the volunteer mode, but I have given to charity :) I've found that York has an abundance of second-hand stores, like the Snooty Fox in Cincinnati. The ones here all seem to have a cause... multiple sclerosis, the elderly, kids, third world people, cats, you name it. They are run by volunteers and sell donated stuff. The profits are suppose to go to their cause. Thus, I have been able to justify the purchase of a nice sweater and a well-fitting jacket for under 5 pounds each (that's $10). That's sort of the max I'm willing to pay here for stuff I don't really need and even that feels kind of weird since I'm not earning money of my own right now.

Go home. Hang laundry on the drying racks. Start the dryer again.

Write a blog. (optional)

Make dinner when Pat gets home.

Relax in front of the TV with Pat or work some more on my computer, shuffling and editing photos, etc.

Go to bed.

On the weekends we’re out and about so it breaks things up.

I’ve been keeping busy, but yes, it’s kind of a 50s lifestyle. It kills the feminist in me a little bit, but since I’m not working yet there’s no excuse for not doing all of the house stuff. It was a little weird for Pat at first, but he’s not going to fight too much. His job is demanding and the last thing he wants to do when he gets home is cook dinner or do laundry, especially when I’ve been sitting on my ass all day. Things will change if I start working or when we go home so he can’t get too comfortable with it :)

The housework isn’t too bad… I don’t have to deal with the yard (thanks to Casey & Jannelle for taking care of the homefront) and, although we enjoy having them, the worst thing is that we have two bathrooms to clean.

During the week, I also do research for wherever we’re going for the next weekend. I look for hotels for some of the short trips we want to take, etc. A lot of my “job” is information gathering. Once we get a real phone and internet connection, I will be a little more effective in this area.

Pat told me that our sea shipment is in customs and should be delivered Monday. Good news since that’s on the earlier side of what they told us to expect. I’m glad it’s coming before Lauren’s wedding so we know if we need to pick up anything while we’re in the States. You might not hear anything from me next week since I’ll be up to my eyeballs in stuff I have to sort to and put somewhere.

1 comment:

Casey said...

I know that routine, minus the planning for the weekend bit. Jannelle and I have swapped that schedule back and forth in the past. sometimes I miss the free time, but never the underlining stress of not working (but needing to).

I'm glad you can keep busy, and aren't just bored all the time.