Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy 30th JAMIE!!


We celebrated my big day in Paris. Never in a million years did I think I'd say "I turned 30 in Paris," but I guess you never know, do you? We had a great day wandering around the Latin quarter, touring the Louvre, and then had a tasty dinner with outstanding Bordelaise sauce followed up by a nighttime trip to the second platform of the Eiffel Tower.

Even though I abandoned the British Isle for my big day, I recently learned that my birthday is (or was) a big day for the British too. I always knew William Shakespeare was born on April 23rd and died on April 23rd, which is both interesting and bizarre. I didn't know that April 23rd is also St. George's Day, which used to be celebrated on par with Christmas. St. George is England's patron saint, a partly mythical dragon-slaying martyr. Today, I think only the historic sites and random card shops, looking for another reason to sell goods, celebrate it. I can't say I have much in common with either Will or George, but it's cool all the same.

1 comment:

Steph said...

yay! happy birthday. Can't wait to see all the France posts. And it's only about a month until you (Jamie) are home!!